View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #35
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
I would be shocked if Barea doesn't start this game. The Pacer's PG and SG are 6'0" and 6'3" respectively, and so for once, Barea's defensive assignment won't be more than a couple inches taller than him.

I don't mind Barea, but Carlisle has to put a tighter leash on him, in my opinion. When Barea is making smart plays, leave him in. But when Barea tries to thread the needle between 3 guys or starts jacking up stupid 3's, Carlisle has to yank him and tell him that he's over extending himself. He shouldn't be doing those type of things. I mean, Barea can score. He's probably the best player off the bench at just scoring, most nights (except for JET, obviously, and perhaps Green, but he never plays).

It just seems like Barea doesn't know what to do when. Everybody rags on Gerald's poor basketball IQ, but it seems like Barea has a similar IQ. He'll shoot early in the shot clock when we're leading in late games, make stupid passes trying to emulate Kidd, or rush a fast break where he should have just gone to a half court offense.
Hmm, I could agree on that. Sometimes it seems that JJ doesn't know what to do and, as you wrote, highly overestimates himself and his skills. Carlisle really needs to tell him his role.

About tonight: Yes, you're right. The Pacer's backcourt is quite small, thus Barea might have a better chance than against the Hawks.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote