View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #2003
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
He means that he's not sure that the Mavs will be interested in bringing him back at an elevated salary.

I'm been pondering it a bit myself. It's fairly useless speculating about it before the new CBA is in place, but in a hypothetical world where the current rules are still in place, I think it's very likely that someone would offer JJ more money than the Mavs want to pay.
Okay, that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. I guess it's possible, though I'd be surprised to see that come to pass.

The obvious point of reference is the contract Dallas passed on in letting Brandon go to the Magic, but it does seem to me like those situations are pretty different when you look closely enough, which is to say, dig a bit deeper than the 'undersized backup' characterization; the big point being the fact that Dallas would appear to need a proven NBA point guard, even a smallish one, much more than they needed a proven NBA PF back when Brandon was a free agent. Taking your cue and assuming the current rules, I think Dallas goes farther to keep JJB than they were willing to go to re-sign Brandon.