View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #156
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Keep it up alex.... I read every post of yours on this subject.

i'm glad somebody is

but truthfully my obsessive following/documenting of a story is for my own entertainment far more than any other reason.

and since we're on the subject...

i've mostly focused on the actions of the cps, and strange as it may sound i haven't delved too deeply into the lifestyles of the FLDS....until recently.

they're odd ducks, but I don't think I'd say much worse about them than that. they value obedience to authorities in ways that offend my libertarian and quasi-anarchist sensibilities, but frankly they're not much worse than the average US voter, imo, they've just got different loyalties. They certainly have some folks that do some bad things, and they respond much as you or i would respond -- 'my family, religious bretheren, community members, etc... were wrong to do that and they should be punished, but don't blame the whole group.'

also, i suggested earlier that "there are ways for 16 year old girls to get pregnant that do not involve statutory rape", and my hunch may be better than I first suspected but not one that can be demonstrated (or refuted) with mathematical certainty. that is to say, some (perhaps many,) of the marriages involving girls 16 or even younger may very well be the fundie mormon equivalent of the shotgun marriage--young boy knocks up young girl, young boy gets the boot and young girl winds up living with a very established family (safe, good mormon example)....

from what i can tell about mormon fundie sensibilities, they'd probably rather be convicted of statutory rape than admit a couple of their teenage kids were out behind the barn behaving like gentiles.

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-14-2008 at 03:14 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote