View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Did anybody else see that???

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
What were they debating in the CWS forum? The play where the right fielder for UT ran over the catcher? Thats the only remotely debatable call I remember except the strike call on the strike em out throw em out double play.

I'll try my best to recap without Tivo. The game was tied 1-1, bottom of the ninth, two outs. Escobar was pitching to Pierzynski, who strikes out swinging.

At this point, Josh Paull rolls the ball back towards the mound and the Angels head towards the dugout.

Simultaneously, the Ump does at least two things. He clearly calls a strike, and points towards first base - I don't remember in which order.
There is debate on whether or not he actually called him out, as he just used the forward fist action - whatever the hell that is called [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Pierzynski, who initially starts to head towards the dugout himself, runs to first base and is ruled safe on a catcher's error. According the the Homeplate ump, Paul did not cleanly catch the ball, but that it bounced into his glove. Since Paul did not tag the runner or throw to first base, the runner was deemed safe. They put in a pinch runner, who moves to second and then is scored on a double hit into left field. Game over.

On replay slowmo, it really looks like a clean catch, as you can see leather between the dirt and the ball the entire way.

CSW fans are saying it clearly hit the ground.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote