View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #76
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Rep points has nothing to do with starting a thread. Your post being meaningful is where you get your rep points. The more rep points you get, that means the more regular posters here with the most rep points value your posts. I have not started too many thread as well, but I have never received a rep point for starting a thread. I get rep points by adding value to a thread with my post. I could care less who started a thread, as long as it is not a thread that is just a duplicate of others.

Look around, and you will see newbies that have been here less than two months, and they have 4 green boxes of rep points. Why does that poster have 5 boxes and another poster who has been here for 2 years have 3 green boxes?

Simple. This is NOT always, but more than likely that person who has been here for 2 years have brought little value to most threads.

There are many different type of regular posters here. Some are die hard Mavs fan and everything is about the Mavs. Some are die-hard Mavs fans as well as Die hard NBA fans. Some here have the Mavs as their 2nd favorite team, and etc. I tend to think that I earned my rep points by bringing value to the threads, while still giving the just due respect to others who have been here alot longer than myself. As I got more rep, I began to get more respect from the past regulars, and now we all discuss things on an even playing field, without anyone feeling disrespected.

The whole point is this message board is YES a public forum, but remember this is still a community. Communities have rules and regulations no matter where you are or live. So, please just respect the community and culture of OUR Mavs message board. I think you are headed in the right direction by your posts and comments. And for that, you get rep from me on your post
thanks for the post and the rep points!

ya I wasn't saying that rep points did have anything to do with starting threads but it was suggested that the board restrict users to be able to post new threads only if they have a certain amount of rep points. I understand the whole rep points things and I've actually never seen it on a message board. it's a very nice feature to just take a snap shot of the person, although not always accurate. I've gotten pretty much all positives but there was one that was negative just because I had a different opinion on something than they did. that doesn't seem to be the reason for rep points because of a difference of opinion. anywho, it's not a big deal as i'm sure it all evens out anyways.