View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
My problem is this... I absolutely hate lifting weights. I hate it with a passion. It might have something to do with starting at a young age.. my dad would take me to the gym back when I was 11-12 or so to lift. It was fun then, but I absolutely hated it by the time I was 14-15.. hated it ever since.

So, I'm trying to work myself into getting my "weight" training through other avenues. Obviously, it can be done. Actually, it's pretty damn easy to find guys that are extremely strong that don't lift weights at all. I just need to incorporate some strength training without using traditional "weights".. Which is why I'm incorporating sledgehammers, doing more pushups/pull ups, medicine ball, and... well, that's it. I have the "and" with no answer what else to add.. I'd like to do a little more as far as the strength training/muscle building is concerned.

When it comes to cardio, I'm pretty much happy with what I do. Between playing basketball, running, elliptical, exercise bike, and walking..well, that will work.
If you're trying to get stronger within this framework you have defined then try doing those pull-ups weighted or incorporate weighted dips. (Linear progression) On the other hand, I've never really felt "strong" doing pushups, but I do feel better when I'm doing them consistently. That accounts for something in my book. See Hershel Walker...freak of nature and poster man for pushups...but he was also doing squats, cleans, and dead lifts...

All the other things you listed are similiar to pushups. You just get good at doing pushups, sledge hammers, medicine ball, etc... but not stronger relative to someone who is doing some type of linear progression with barbells.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 08-16-2012 at 02:56 AM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote