View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
What's an Ohio press? And why are curls and shrugs pointless? I like curls. They make my biceps feel stronger.

Also, what does it mean that you chose "vitality over vanity?" Aren't the lithe little guys the most vital of all? Why do you feel as though you need all that muscle mass? What is it protecting you against?

I like Murph's idea of using real-world activities to exercise your real-world muscles. My avocation is golf, and that's the present line of thinking there. All the work is in the core muscles, with fairly realistic exercises. No bench presses or anything of the sort there. Lot of medicine balls and lunges and such.
If you're like me, well, I'm working on adding a little mass and particularly getting a stronger core. Plus, I'm looking for more functional strength. I know that traditional weights made me stronger, but ..seemed lacking. Obviously, I could have made subtle changes to my routine, but I decided to drastically change what I'm doing and I've never felt better. I can't say that I've never looked better. I'm not to where I was at when I was 18-19..but I do believe that I will pass that. Funny thing.. I timed myself in the 400m the other day, and I'm actually just about where I was at when I was in high school. Why would I do this? I was basically just a bit curious..my boss ran the 400m in college, so I wanted to see what I could run it in. I knew that I could run the 40 still in about 5.0-5.1 (raced my nephew this past spring ..he was a senior in high school at the time).

The cool thing about where I work is that we basically only hire ex-athletes. Half the company either played a college football, ran track in college, played minor league baseball, or was heavy into body building. I've just recently started bouncing ideas off of them. Some are heavy into weights, but there's a couple of us that are going different routes.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote