View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #90
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
. For Marion, its just from what I read. Iguodala is a good defender, but Marion is still one of the best.
At first I thought you were underrating Iggy, but now I think you're just overrating Marion. 4 years ago, Marion was "one of the best." He's still good, but at this stage in their careers I think Iggy is the better defender of the two. Besides, why exactly are we comparing Iggy to Marion anyway? Shouldn't we be comparing Iggy to Butler?

Quote:
Butler and Iguodala provide very similar offense, except that Butler has shot much better from three.
But they don't provide a similar offense. That's why I want Iggy instead of Butler. This team needs a slasher badly on the wing, and Iggy would fill that need. Beyond that, Iggy is much better passer and ball-handler. He could play some point-forward, which is also something we've needed for a long time given Kidd's inability to get past his defender.

Quote:
I definitely think that Iguodala would probably be a little bit better on a good team rather than one of the worst. But how much better? I don't think enough to justify taking on his contract and then giving up whatever has to be given up. As long as Stevenson is earning minutes at the 2 and Butler and Marion are splitting at the 3, there's not really a lot of minutes for Iggy to get. The reason I mentioned Stevenson was to point out that he's playing too well to be shoved to the end of he bench, so Caron can play the 2, Marion the 3, and Iggy the 3/4.
I don't understand this paragraph. Any deal for Iggy would undoubtedly involved Butler. The idea was, Iggy plays the t3. Where you're getting this Caron at 2, Marion at 3, Stevenson on the bench stuff, I don't know.

Quote:
Anyway, we're forgetting one key reason that we don't need Iggy: team chemistry. It took Caron almost a year before he's finally finding his groove. There's no reason to screw it all up by exchanging very similar pieces that do not clearly make the team better. Might Iggy's game be a better fit? Sure, I'd love to get a slasher/driver in here (though Iggy still takes 75% jumpers, so let's not pretend he attacks the cup everytime he touches the ball), but what we have right now is working. 23-5. Why mess it up?
This is just me, but frankly I'm really not all that impressed with this "chemistry" that everyone keeps going on about. At least not when it comes to Butler. Chandler and Stevenson, yeah I'm impressed with them. But the idea that this unit is so mind-blowingly good together that we shouldn't even touch it because it can't be improved? That this chemistry is so good and so precarious that we can't take the risk of trying to make it better?

I'm not buying it. Seriously, I think you could switch out Butler for any number of players and the "chemistry" wouldn't change much. It probably has more to do with Butler than it does with Iggy, but I just think he's the odd man out. I know he's played well lately but I'm just not a fan of his game; at least not when I think about what we need from that position. He's an excellent mid-range shooter, sure. But Iggy's a considerably better slasher, defender, rebounder, and passer/ball-handler.

Oh well, it's all moot anyway because you're going to get your wish. Nothing's going to change. And I'm about 90% sure Butler will be re-signed and this will be the same lineup we see next year. That might sound great to most people here, but going forward with Butler just doesn't do much for me.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote