Thread: Laptops....
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Laptops....

Hey senorfrog!!! Welcome back.

Alienware makes excellent gaming computers, is that your intent for this system? If it is, it would be much cheaper to get a PlayStation or XBox, etc....

However, if you want a "good deal" on a system the cheapest way to do it is to build it yourself like suggested earlier in this thread. The drawback to that is you have multiple places to go for warranty replacement. The plus side is you are forced to learn by doing, you get more familiar with your hardware, etc....

You can find similar machines from all of the Tier 1 providers (HP, Dell, etc...) and the best part about it is that if something breaks you have one number to call for support.

One other word of warning, Fry's was mentioned earlier.... but beware of that place. When returns come in, 90 percent of the time that is restocked to be a headache for the next person that buys it(and that may differ from store to store, but I know of two metroplex stores that this is pretty much a "policy" - if it comes back twice they don't restock it - the reason for that I'm told is that the majority of self-builders don't know what they are doing and the stuff returned is typically not the source of the problem so instead of testing themselves they let the next customer test it). They do have incredible deals on hardware though. I personally try to find a smaller parts store, just because I have had so many issues with Fry's in the past (and granted, you aren't guaranteed to have problems... I've heard good stories as well as bad).

PM me if you have any more questions.