View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 06:20 AM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snowpocalypse and Cancungate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
It was solely that the power plants couldn't produce enough power, because they weren't equipped to handle the temperatures. I mean, they could have let us know that, because they obviously saw this coming one to two weeks before it happened, but there wasn't time to winterize the plants at that point. What is meant by EVERYTHING?
I mean... everything. The entire energy infrastructure in the state of Texas. You say "plants" as if that's one small, specific thing. People have tried to blame one source of energy or another for political reasons. It's because the wind turbines froze... It's because natural gas pipelines froze etc.... It was every form of energy, and the infrastructure around them (i.e. the grid) failed on a spectacular level. "It was solely that the power plants couldn't produce enough power." Which plants exactly? You mean... all of them? That's... pretty much everything.

You said it had nothing to do with "the grid," and only that it was solely "the plants." A power grid generally refers to the entire energy producing system and infrastructure. That generally includes the plants that produce the power. If you're simply trying to argue that the plants are not part of "the grid"... A: I'm not entirely sure that's true, and B: even if it is, like, who the hell cares? That's a meaningless technicality. And it's also simply not true to say that the crisis was solely due to the plants not producing enough power. It was the entire infrastructure that broke down- including the inability to move materials and supplies across the state, and perhaps most importantly, the inability to import power from other states or from Mexico, as has been done in the past.

You say it was just that "the plants" weren't winterized, as if that's independent from the grid. WHY weren't the plants winterized? Because Texas has an independent energy infrastructure (one might even be so bold as to call it a grid) that is not subject to federal regulations. Also, ERCOT itself has admitted that the entire grid was less than 5 minutes away from completely collapsing at one point, which would have led to a statewide blackout lasting for several months. I'd say that makes "the grid" very relevant here.

So yeah... it was *everything.*

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-02-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote