Thread: 2 guard
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #10
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I've heard since Avery started that we need a 2 guard that can stop or slow players like Kobe, McGrady, Wade, etc. I've even said it myself.

But here's the problem: nobody in this league consistently stops or slows those guys. Nobody.

The problem Dallas had against Golden State and Miami last year was offense, not defense. I finally see that clearly. You have to have a player that bothers those guys some, but you also must make those guys play defense a bit, just to occupy thier minds.

But there I go again. Dallas did not execute on offense. We could not hit shots consistently. I remember several stretches where we made good defensive plays, but couldn't convert on the other end. Sometimes 2-3 times in a row. Eventually that wears you down.

So, let's go back to a few years ago when Cuban didn't want to pay Michael Redd the full MLE. That may have been as definative for this team as everyone thinks losing Nash was.

A week after it all ended, as I list the role players I would like to have had. Jason Kapono comes to mind. No he's not the answer in any way, but do you think he would have hit a few 3 pters for us? Here's one, maybe the most annoying in the league to look at: Kyle Korver. Think also about what NVE brought us a few years ago agains sacramento. 85 pt first half. How good of a defender was he? Would you have liked to have nad NVE from 3 years ago on the bench?

I'm not saying any of these guys is the answer. The point I'm making is that defenders like Buckner and George can defend ok, but the overall impact of the game is meaningless if they aren't a threat to put up some points. Look at Bruce Bowen. Probably the best defender in the league. During this season as he stopped hitting that three pointer all-together, he wasn't nearly as menacing.

Just some thoughts on a night when I should be working on my take-home final exam.

Last edited by jacktruth; 05-07-2007 at 10:15 PM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote