View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 10:10 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vladimir Stepania

Yes, says me. More of an opportunity to play in the paint. I think you'll see a change of philosophy on the offensive end to include more chances there for Raef.

So tell me WHY you believe that. Have you ever seen Raef LaFrentz post up in a Mavericks uniform? I think I've seen it happen one time in a year and a half. Explain to me why you believe next year will be completely different.

Raef blocks shots on the weakside and straight up against his man more than he is given credit for on the defensive end.

Actually, he gets credit for every block he makes. And his block totals were down drastically last year. Yet, we all know Raef can block shots. No one's complaining about that. People that dislike Raef dislike him because he couldn't defend ME in the post, much less an NBA post player.

I understand Stepania gets good rebounds per minutes but is this against front line guys? NO. Is it against Shaq and Duncan and Garnett in the West. Spares in the east.

Actually, let's look at how he performed against a few Western powers:

vs. LA: 8.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg in 24 mpg
vs. Sacto: 8.0 ppg, 9.0 rpg in 20.5 mpg
vs. SA: 4.0 ppg, 10.5 rpg in 21.5 mpg
vs. Dallas: 5.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg in 19.0 mpg

It looks to me like he did just fine against the Top 4 in the West. Try again.

You are overselling this guy big time.

No, I'm just refusing to let you undersell him. I'm not proclaiming him the savior. However, he can definitely come in and provide some help -- so why not sign him? I'm not talking about offering him a 6 or 7 year deal, but why would a 2 year deal hurt?

It is assumed here that if Raef is not here he has been traded for someone who can help in the middle and the 7'1" overrated Stepania on this board will not be needed.

Assumed by you. I'm in favor of acquiring Stepania whether or not Raef is moved. Surely you're not saying that the Mavs don't have room for both guys on the roster, are you?

Please remember if you are paying this guy essentially EIGHT MILLION BUCKS a year when considering tax implications that a deal to take on bad contracts to get a guy we really want ain't gonna happen.
We have enough of those already.

Why not? To get a guy we "really want" we're likely going to ship out a couple of bad contracts too. I just don't see your logic here at all.

Stop analyzing it based on luxury tax. It's not Stepania that got the Mavs into the luxury tax. In the NBA economy, 4 million/year for a decent center isn't a bad deal. If they can get him for less, fine. But I could care less about the luxury tax. That's Cuban's problem, and he used to claim that he was more than willing to pay it.

Does Stepania get you to the NBA Finals? HELL NO!!! So what's the point? If you can answer that question I really don't see how you can justify the signing. P.S. You can't.

Terrible logic. If we're going to wait to make a move until we are pretty sure it gets us to the NBA Finals, we're going to be waiting quite a while.