View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 09:19 AM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vladimir Stepania

mikeinrowlett - Before I respond to your post, I just wanted to politely ask that you do everyone a favor and insert a couple of paragraph breaks here and there in your posts. One huge paragraph makes it very difficult to read.

Sorry I have to say Stepania is the 8 million dollar man because that is what it costs to sign him. To add him it costs that much. To not add him costs nothing.

I guess the posts above didn't explain it clearly enough. If the Mavericks were sufficiently under the cap, signing Stepania wouldn't cost them any luxury tax. The Mavs, however, have been above the cap for quite a while now. WAY above the cap. They pay luxury tax (and a lot of it) whether or not Stepania comes here. The only reason Stepania costs them any luxury tax at all is because they are already above the cap.

And as Dooby aptly pointed out, if the Mavs are going to go around thinking they have to get an 8 million dollar player for 4 million, they're never going to improve. It's not the player's fault that the Mavs are over the cap, and if the Mavs want to improve they're going to have to pay reasonably close to market value to get players.

In other words, if you wait and don't sign Stepania, what are you waiting for? ANY FA you sign is going to cause you to pay more luxury tax. And if you're expecting to just wait around and get somebody for 50 cents on the dollar, well, that's just moronic.

You give up that slot you lose flexibility at the trade deadline and you lose the ability to add even more salary.

What slot are you talking about? What flexibility are you talking about? I've asked you to explain this before, and you have yet to do it.

Cuban has balked at adding freakin' Tyrone Hill because he didn't want to pay the tax.

He balked at adding Tyrone Hill because he sucks. Stepania's quite a bit younger and is a legit center who is a great rebounder and a banger inside.

Let me pose it to you this way: If Stepania's not good enough to spend money on, who is? And I don't want an answer like, "The guy that will get us a championship." Give me a name. Or names.

He is willing to pay but for a player that makes the ultimate difference. A championship. I think that is really the only question I asked from you. Does his addition get us to championship level. I still say no and anyone who says yes is a damn fool.

As I told you in my last post, this is terrible logic. If you think there's one guy out there that you can add for the MLE that's going to get you a title, you're crazy. Also, who ever said that you shouldn't add a player unless you know he's going to get you a title? Certainly not any GM in the NBA. There are guys you can add that would improve your team. It's about improving, and addressing deficiencies.

The desire to add a player or make a foolish trade is short sighted.

The desire to add a player is short sighted? Huh? Why? If the guy can help the team, he can help the team. When do you deem it okay to add a player, and who should we add?

Who said anything about a foolish trade? Are you honestly saying LaFrentz/AJ for Grant (the only trade I've discussed in this thread) would be foolish?

Patience my man. Patience. February is just around the corner. A better deal is to be had there if nothing can be worked out in the off season.

You have absolutely no basis for this statement.

Hey, the guy can definitely help.

So you admit it? Thanks. That's all I needed to hear.

But the championship is what it is all about. His signing would definitely take the Mavs out of the running for trades later this season. A trade that may make the difference. This ain't the difference we need. Hell, Miami isn't willing to offer him a big contract. Why? They have cap space. Oh wait they want to land a player that can help them get better. Well so do we. I think.

Don't contradict yourself. You just said he can definitely help. Now you say he wouldn't make Miami better? Huh?

As for your statement that a Stepania signing takes the Mavs out of running for trades, I'll refer to my question above: How?