View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 12:40 PM   #32
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold
Default Vladimir Stepania

If Cuban is willing to take on Grant's huge-ass salary, why does signing Step to a 2 year, $8M contract scare him?

While I'd like to see us get Grant, there are a few things that scare me:

1) Age. He'll be 32 when the playoffs roll around. Still very productive, but how long before the stats start to decline? Particularly if he's playing nightly in the more rugged West.

2) Size. He's definitely undersized for what the Mavs will want him to do, especially if we don't add any other front line help.

3) Cost. As mentioned above, he's got a Finley-type contract, with 3 years to go. If we get him and his production drops from his Miami numbers, do we have another salary albatross around our necks?

Stepania is five years younger than Grant, he is definitely a center (not undersized), and if you can get him for two years, that's not a long term commitment. Sure he doesn't put up Grant's numbers, but we can get him without giving up NVE or Raef or whomever. I think Cuban has a hard time giving Step $4M a year deal because he thought he had Mourning for $4.9M. Cubes need to get over that and get us some front line help. If you look at Step's numbers and what the other sorry-ass centers around the league are commanding in salary, I don't think $4M is too out of line. My only concern: If Step is as underrated as we all think, how come Miami doesn't appear very interested? After all, they need to fill Mourning's void--apparently they are more interested in Samaki Walker?? Or are they saving their pennies for the offer sheet to Odom?

My gut feeling is, let's get Step before one of our rivals does. He'll add some depth, we can see how he performs for the 1st half of the year. If it doesn't work, let's look at a deadline deal. I'm just not sure the Grant thing makes sense considering what we'd have to give up and what we'd be inheriting in salary. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote