View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 02:55 PM   #38
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vladimir Stepania

I think were you and I get crossed up is your assumption that the MLE must be spent.

When you have a) have recognized deficiencies, and b) are hopelessly over the salary cap, I think you DO have to use the MLE if you want to get better. And you might have to gamble with the MLE. I'm not suggesting they offer him the entire MLE. But they should be willing to spend quite a bit more than $1.5m for a backup center that can get 7 reb/game in 20 minutes and can bang inside.

I have never suggested that it need be so.

But Donnie Nelson has.

In fact I wish to err on the side of caution regarding this matter. It is irrelevant if we are over the cap at this time. I understand that the MLE is afforded to us due to the fact that we are over the cap and that this is the only reason we have it.

I don't see what we really have to lose, other than Cuban's money. And as I've stated before, I don't care about his money.

Just one more point regarding contradicting myself. Stepania would not be signed by Miami to be the final piece to a championship puzzle. Nor would he be here. I think he could help but towards the ulitimate goal he is a non factor.

One of their stated needs is bulk inside and rebounding inside. He can help substantially in those areas. If nothing else, he adds depth to our front line. I don't see a downside.