View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 07:22 PM   #76
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default $400.00 per child Tax-relief Checks are in the Mail- Bush screws the working poor!!!!

My but we're covering a lot of ground here.

Interesting, albeit emotional, topic(s) about which to exchange perspectives. Some of the differences of perspective come as the result of different experiences, some as the result of different observation, some as the result of different information.

For example, KG’s statement that:

Quote:
As for adoption, there's no law that prohibits gays from adopting.
may result from different information.

Unless it's been repealed very recently, Florida still has a state law prohibiting gays from adopting, and I believe there were a handful of other states that had similar prohibitions until relatively recently.

And while adoption by same-sex partners is not prohibited in other states, it is made more complicated and more costly by lack of equal legal recognition and standing for same-sex partners. A brewing court battle in Massachusetts over state recognition of same-sex marriages illustrates the often unanticipated legal difficulties that same-sex partners face, despite being in long-term stable, commited partnerships, and despite having taken legal steps to protect themselves in the event of death of disability of one of the partners.

Online Newshour 07.11.03

I used to work with a lesbian couple (in Massachusetts) one of whom was carrying artificially-conceived twins. I recall thinking to myself that with so many parentless children in need of loving homes, that going to this length to become a parent seemed something of a vanity. That is, until I found out how expensive it would be (legally, of course), and how long it would take them as a lesbian couple to gain custody of an adopted child. They had determined that it would be easier for one of them to be a biological parent and to have the other partner adopt the children, rather than waiting for years to be appoved for adoption.

Closer to home for Dallasites, a bill was presented this spring in the Texas legistlature the aim of which was to prohibit homosexuals from becoming foster parents. You can read about it here:

Austin Chronicle 05.02.03

Acknowledged that the Chronicle has an unfortunate tendency to paint conservatives unsympathetically, but based on the quotes attributed to Rep. Robert Talton, it's difficult to interpret this ill-fated attempted legislative slur as anything other than bigotry, let alone mere discrimination. Doesn't make me ashamed to be a Texan, though; just extremely sorry that Talton is.

More to come. Perhaps
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote