View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #123
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Because that would further fracture the G.O.P.... At this point I think they're packing it in, focusing on the midterms so they can continue to c*ckblock the White House for another 4 years... They've already got their work cut out for them, no point in wasting energy trying to take down Trump -- just let him die on the vine.
So, would you estimate that they started packing it in a year ago? There was not a decent Republican candidate in the field. Not one. That list of names is a steaming pile of elephant dung.

Is there someone sitting out this year's campaign who would have been a decent candidate? If so, who? Is that person this year's Jeb Bush, sitting out on his/her opportunity (as Jeb did in 2008 and 2012)? And when 2020 comes will it be too late for them?

I agree that the GOP is more fractured than ever (worse than 1992 or 2008, perhaps as bad as the Democratic party after Carter/1980). I remember predicting this 10-12 years ago. It took longer than I thought it would, and I thought that the Establishment would distance itself from the Fringe Right, when in fact the Fringe Right has broken off on its own. But the net effect is the same. And while I also know better than to think that the GOP will remain in this weakened state forever, is the only option available for it to be the Obstructionist Party?

I actually voted Republican for the first 20 years of my voting life, but given what remains of that party, I can't ever see myself backing a Republican platform or, for now, a Republican candidate for the rest of my life.

I'd like to see at least 2-3 other parties form, at different points on the political spectrum, forcing coalitions to form in order to advance reforms and initiatives. Two parties make it too easy for an obstructionist party to stymie progress.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 08-09-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote