View Single Post
Old 11-03-2022, 07:21 PM   #9
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe so many people are freaking out because Wood hasn't fit in perfectly after a handful of games.

Defense is a team game, and Wood is new to this team. You will note that when the Mavs play five guys who were here last year, the defense clicks. This is a defense with Luka, THJ and Spencer, who are all mediocre defenders, but Kidd put out a defensive scheme that lets them succeed. I expect that to come with Wood too, but it will take time. I don't think anyone ever demanded he play good D until now. But then, no one ever demanded it of Luka or THJ or Brunson until Kidd did, and by the end of the season, they were damned good. But they stank last Oct, Nov and Dec. Before Kidd, Brunson was so bad, he watched the 2021 playoffs from the bench. After a year under Kidd, he was no longer a liability.

My advice to fans...just cool out. Kidd knows what he is doing. He'd like to see McGee work out as a starter, but if is too old and slow, he can use Powell. I would not be surprised to see them both start depending on the opponent. We can use McGee when we have to play traditional bigs like Steven Adams, and Powell against smaller, quicker guys.

I'm not worried that Wood will bolt because he isn't starting. Once he becomes less of a defensive liability, I expect he'll get 30 minutes a game, score 20+ a night and be in as a closer. He'll contend for 6th man of the year. But he has to improve his defense, and I have every confidence he will, based on Kidd's track record.

As much as people here love to bang on Powell, we saw in the last two games how effective he is, just by understanding the defense and being in the right place, as the scheme demands. I expect that, by year's end, Wood will be defending better than Powell, because he has more talent. But it will take time.