View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #221
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
He had the second-most tackles in the game at 7.5, so I'm guessing he got a bunch of hi-fives rather than a beat down...

Plus, doesn't almost every football player on every team taunt the opposing players on almost every down in every game?

it still cost us points and a possible momentum swing to the second half..

http://dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id...A7F3F489A0529A

Phillips Not Tolerating Personal Fouls
Rob Phillips - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
November 12, 2007 6:52 PM
Change Font Size A A A A

IRVING, Texas - Having disposed of two straight NFC rivals with relative road ease, it's becoming apparent the Cowboys' only true division roadblock might be themselves.

That's why head coach Wade Phillips was frustrated his team got sidetracked by shoving matches and trash talk in the first half of Sunday's 31-20 win over the New York Giants.

Personal fouls on linebackers Bradie James and Kevin Burnett helped put the Giants in position for 10 of their 17 points. James' 15-yard penalty for shoving running back Brandon Jacobs set up Jeremy Shockey's 8-yard touchdown, and Burnett's taunting penalty in the half's final seconds preserved a Giants drive which resulted in a game-tying Lawrence Tynes field goal.

"We're going to address it," Phillips said Monday. "That's not acceptable because we are accountable. It's not for me, it's for their teammates. It costs us some points in that game. We had several of them. I'm not happy about that. I will tell them and I think they will respond."

A more composed Cowboys team calmly outscored New York 14-3 in the second half after getting what Phillips described as a "poignant" halftime message from the assistant coaches. Linebackers coach Paul Pasqualoni was particularly vocal, he said.

Phillips said he didn't speak to Burnett about his penalty until after the game because "he was already upset and knew what he'd done wrong." The 15-yard taunting call gave the Giants first-and-10 near midfield, and Eli Manning's 29-yard completion to Shockey - the Giants' longest player of the game - on the next play set up Tynes' kick.

"As the only linebacker (in the dime defense) I've got to take it upon myself to get the team in good position," Burnett said. "I can't make stupid plays, and that was a very stupid play."
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote