View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Why on Earth would we want to tank?

If we tank this year, we may as well give up on the Cuban-era Mavericks. When you begin tanking, it's often years-- if not decades before a team emerges again. Before Dirk, it was 11-years of craptastic basketball.

Wasting Dirk would be a crime. Blowing up the team when we have 3-4 more good years with Dirk would be a travesty.

If we end up a lottery team at the end of the year, so be it. We don't have a bunch of 1st round picks. We have Dirk, Marion, maybe Carter, Cunningham and Crowder and a top-20 protected first rounder. That's it. Do you think we could liquidate Kaman, Mayo and Collison for something? Would that really help us long term?

Would it be more appealing for a FA to come to a lottery team or a playoff team?

A couple things: We were able to draft Dirk because we were bad enough to get a high draft pick. We finished the 97/98 season with a record of 20-62. You're saying Dirk has 3-4 good years left in him. I hope you are right. I think you are right. But are you really saying we should build a team around him as the first option, when he is 35, 36, and 37 years old, in hope to win another championship? Because he himself implied that may won't work. I would say that most certainly won't work, and i'm a huge fan, i really am.

The way i see it, we either need 3-4 proven all-star caliber players in their prime playing next to Dirk (like the Grizzlies roster), we obviously won't be able to achieve that, since we have 0 of those players outside of Dirk, or, we need some talent, and we need it fast. There is 2 ways for that, FA, and draft. I'm just asking, why not tank this year, when we clearly aren't going anywhere?

And don't start with the 2010/2011 team's tale. I saw a couple of guys brought that up (not you i think). That team started the season like what, 20-4? They were absolutely dominant until Dirk went down. After that, they sucked of course, for a good portion of the season, they even struggled with Dirk, but once march (i think) rolled around, we did have i believe 23 consecutive games, where we won 20 of them, and lost 3 games, with a combined 4 points maybe? Again, they were dominant for stretches. The writing was on the wall, as they say. Now of course, Dirk coming back will help, but it just feels totally different. This cast, i just not very well put together fit-wise.

I'm an optimist, but i think our backcourt is the worst in the NBA, by far, and that's not our biggest problem. The biggest problem is, i think this team has zero chemistry. The championship Mavs team? I would argue they may had GOAT chemistry. This team has no chemistry, and they're one of the worst fits i've ever seen. They don't mash with each other at all. The talent-level is all right imo, but they just... Oh well, i guess i should have cut this post a lot shorter. I'm sorry, i just don't believe in those guys at all. I believe in Dirk, but not this team. Not this year. Of course i hope they're gonna prove me wrong, because every knows we ain't tanking. So we might as well win some games. Or a lot.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 11-29-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote