View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #909
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Great video. So of course Gobert is good at defense, but it's what he costs you that is the main issue. You can't pay him like he is a superstar because he isn't one. And the cost of that, like what happened with the Jazz, is perimeter defense.

Perimeter defense>around the basket D. And it's generally cheaper (DFS, Bullock, Green).

And what happens if Mitchell or Clarkson go down? The value of big men like that plummet which is why we traded KP. That's why the Mavs were able to weather Luka going down because we had Dinwiddie as insurance.
https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-offseaso...son-interviews

It's interesting to read the Jazz fans' perspective.
There are certainly Gobert apologists and also Gobert haters.

The answer to how the Jazz can fix their issues is probably somewhere in between. No question that the video shows how often the mavs' plethora of on ball dribble drivers were able to get past their man forcing Gobert to collapse. The Jazz have poor on ball defenders who couldn't stay in front of the Mavs 3 headed PG trio. So for the Jazz to be more successful, they need better defenders in general, especially on the perimeter.

The other side of that though, is that Rudy doesn't bring enough offensive game to punish teams for going 5 out. as we saw, the mavs would switch literally anybody to just put a body on Gobert and the Jazz wouldn't pass him the ball or even look his way. When your 5 man is not a threat in the post then it's a lot easier for teams to go 5 out and punish you. So for a max player type of contract, Rudy doesn't bring enough offense to make up for his defensive prowess.

i think this whole analysis is fascinating for Mavs fans clamoring for a big (myself included). Is it enough to have someone in the mold of Gobert (we have the mini version who's not as good at rebounding or defense in Powell)? or do we need someone with better mobility, better outside shooting, enough low post game to punish teams going small, etc?

In that regards i was very interested in EJ Liddell who should project to be at least an average 3 point shooter. At only 6'7" or so he'd be a small ball big man type and my hope for a poor man's Draymond which everyone and their mother is looking for the next one. Would it be good enough for the mavs to get a traditional center?
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote