Thread: Parcells done!
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Quote:
dallascowboys.com

IRVING, Texas - After four seasons, the Bill Parcells era here in Dallas is over.

The Cowboys' head coach for the last four years officially announced his resignation here Monday morning.

"I am retiring from coaching football. I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years," Parcells said in a statement. "Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here."

Parcells, 65, compiled a 34-30 record with the Cowboys in the last four years.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," Parcells said. "I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard."

The Cowboys' season, and now consequently, Parcells' career ended in disappointing fashion. The Cowboys' 21-20 playoff loss to the Seahawks included a fumbled snap by quarterback and holder Tony Romo on a potential go-ahead field goal attempt late in the fourth quarter.

Had Parcells returned to the sidelines next season, it would've been Parcells' second-longest stint among his four NFL teams. He spent his first nine years as a head coach with the New York Giants, leading them to a pair of Super Bowl titles in the 1986 and 1990 seasons. After taking three years off from coaching, Parcells returned to the sideline, spending the next four years in New England, before a three-year stint with the New York Jets.

After returning the first time at the end of the 1999 season, Parcells was out of football for three years before coming to Dallas.

Since taking over, Parcells has led the Cowboys to two playoff appearances, despite losing in the first round in both 2003 and this past season. Parcells' teams were just 34-30 in his four years, but that was still quite an improvement from the 15-33 record his predecessor, Dave Campo, had in the three years prior to Parcells' arrival.

Parcells becomes the fourth different, but obviously most prominent, coach to leave the Cowboys staff this off-season. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and special teams coach Bruce DeHaven both took similar positions with Atlanta and Seattle, respectively. Offensive quality control coach David Lee is now the offensive coordinator at Arkansas.
Quote:
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Bill Parcells era is over.

Parcells has decided to end a coaching career that one day will land him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame after a four-year run with the Cowboys that failed to produce a playoff victory.

Parcells, 65, had one year left on his deal with the Cowboys and was set to earn $5.5 million, but after spending more than a week to figure out his future, he chose to walk away to retirement and a newly built home in Saratoga, N.Y.

"I am retiring from coaching football," Parcells said in a statement. "I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years. Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here."

When Parcells joined the Cowboys on Jan. 2, 2003, he said he wanted to play the big room, but his tenure with the Cowboys did not meet his or owner/general manager Jerry Jones' expectations.

The Cowboys were 34-32 under Parcells, including two playoff losses. In 19 years with the New York Giants and Jets, New England and the Cowboys, Parcells amassed a 183-137-1 record. He won two championships – Super Bowls XXI and XXV – with the Giants and took the Patriots to Super Bowl XXXI.

He is the only coach to take four different teams to the playoffs.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," Parcells said. "I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard. "

This is the third time Parcells has walked away from coaching. He could return to broadcasting or become a consultant, like his good friend Ron Wolf, the former Green Bay president, has done.

If this is it, then Parcells' final game was a memorable one for all the wrong reasons. Needing a 19-yard field goal to take a lead with 1:19 to play in the wild-card round at Seattle, Tony Romo was unable to cleanly handle the snap, setting off a chaotic chain of events that left Romo, who salvaged the season in October, 2 yards from a touchdown and 1 yard from a possible first down.

Moments after the game Parcells said he would take his time with his decision, although Jones reiterated numerous times he wanted Parcells to return for a fifth season. Last week, Parcells told his assistant coaches he was unsure what he would do before giving them this week off.

The uncertainty helped lead to the departure of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to Atlanta for the same position, Bruce DeHaven to run Seattle's special teams and David Lee to be Arkansas' offensive coordinator. Mike MacIntyre (safeties) and Anthony Lynn (running backs) do not have contracts with the Cowboys for 2007.

The Cowboys are one of two teams without a head coach, although Oakland is well down the interview road with candidates. Four other teams filled their openings as Parcells debated his future: Atlanta hired Bobby Petrino away from Louisville, Arizona hired Steelers' offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, Miami hired Cam Cameron and Pittsburgh hired Mike Tomlin.

Jones' two hires before Parcells were NFL assistants, bringing in Chan Gailey to replace Barry Switzer in 1998 and promoting Dave Campo in 2000. He looked to the college ranks for his first two coaches in Jimmy Johnson and Switzer and did not dismiss the possibility of looking there again while talking on his weekly radio show.

Although Jones also acknowledged the differences in the college game can make for a difficult transition.

While the Cowboys did not enjoy the on-field success they would have liked under Parcells, there is no questioning the talent-upgrade on the roster. Since 2003, the Cowboys have yielded eight starters through the draft and several other key position players, while spending in free agency to bring in six starters.

As the Cowboys prepare for this off-season, they are in terrific salary-cap shape with $24.5 million in room to spend on their own players (Andre Gurode, Marc Colombo) or free agents to-be.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote