View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #89
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Are you talking about with or without an extension?

Because I keep reading people say you HAVE to make a deal for Melo, no matter what, but nobody has been clear as to whether they'd give up Roddy for a 3-month rental...

If you don't win now, you won't win later... Do you really wanna give up Roddy if Melo's gonna walk after this season? There's no guarantee that we'll win a ring if we get Melo, but we're absolutely guaranteed to be fracked if we lose both Roddy and Melo...
Well, obviously I put in the "Cuban could get him to sign with the talent we have on this roster" sentence so I am arguing that it wouldn't be a rental. If I KNEW it was going to be a rental (and I didn't even KNOW that with Lee) then you absolutely don't do it.

Now, if it is like Lee and he is genuinely open to staying given the right deal/circumstances (which I think Lee was), well, I say you take the gamble and hope you can convince him that Dirk, Kidd, Chandler, Terry, Marion, Peja, Haywood and Barea are WAY more than what NY/NJ could put around him.

Again, I am high on Roddy, but he is not proven and Dirk deserves a shot at a ring. I think Dirk is proving to people that, while certain parts of his game might regress (rebounding), his shooting and playmaking abilities will continue to be around at a very high level for the next 3-4 years.

Given that time frame and overall talent I don't think he passes that up just to be in his home state (just as LeBron/Bosh failed to sign with their home state teams - of course Bosh required a forced trade).

This is all likely fools gold as other teams can offer much more than we could or would be willing to. The thought though - wow... You can say what you will about this man but he is a true super star that gets super star treatment and would be tremendous next to Dirk.

Just imagine a closing lineup as follows:

Chandler
Dirk
Melo
Jet
Kidd