View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Then the comparison to Shula implied by the quotation really wasn't appropriate was it? In any case, it wasn't parallel.

Because Nelson never took a team to championship contention.

Like Bum, however, Nellie was close a time or two, but couldn't quite ever get over the hump.

And like Bum did with Earl, Nellie kinda rode Finley (and later Nash) into the ground.

And like Bum did with Wade, Nellie tried to foist his son onto the league as head coaching material when he really wasn't cut out for it.

But ultimately, I have to agree with you---Don Nelson was a great contributor to the league, a superb innovator; one of the longest serving coaches in the history of the game never to get a team into an NBA Finals. Nellie, we salute you, and wish you well.
Nice try, darlin'.

Clearly I was equating your bumblin', stumblin' words with the uneducated-sounding yet poignantly accurate words of someone who has been there, seen it, and done that.

Someone who *knows*, if you will.

In case it's news to you, Nash is still playing. Finley, too. In fact, Nash won the Most Valuable Player trophy twice after Mark Cuban decided Nellie had ridden him into the turf. You will, I am certain, forgive me for not grasping this attempt at a point.

If I'm not mistaken, Donnie Nelson has yet to coach an NBA possession. But he is, in fact, regarded among the elite levels of general managers, with particular regard to his proficiency in scouting the international game. You meant to compare Wade Phillips and Donnie Nelson?

I'm glad we agree in the end about the contribution Nellie has made, and continues to make, to the NBA. I'm sure that I am looking just as forward as you are to the day when he is enshrined in the NBA Hall of Fame.

P.S. Again, sorry 'bout your Knicks.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote