View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 AM   #45
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default RE:Good Charlotte?, for Jamison it would be

Originally posted by Dalm202:
Quote:
Now, since the Shaq thing wasn't your "idea", what is your "idea" that would improve the Mavs in the offseason (whether they win it all this year, or go out in the first round).
Well, that depends on some things...but let me get to that in just a second..I'd like to update everyone on what I heard today on ESPN radio. The ever strange Randy Galloway had Mark Stein on for his usual weekly segment and the Jamison to Charlotte idea was the main topic of discussion. Stein made a couple of points:
1) That Charlotte wasn't the "usual" expansion situation where the team would have some leeway with the fans. The idea was again put forward that, because of the previous failed franchise, the Bobcats needed to take a "non-traditional" approach
2) That this one didn't just arise from his fertile imagination. He said that Charlotte is actually interested in this scenario, even though it's a bit "exploratory" right now.
So, this trade may have a little bit of something to it.

When I look at trade idea, the first person that I look at is Walker...chifly because of his expiring contract. Then I look to teams that may want to "blow themselves up" and start over with a lot of capspace. My thoughts tend to make me look at Orlando, Washington, and the Bulls first. Each team is stuck with a bad contract or two (Chicago has Antonio Davis and Jerome Williams, Washington has Stackhouse, and Orlando isn't getting anywhere with T-Mac and are stuck with Juwan Howard.). You might be able to add GS to that list...and it's no secret that NJ might want to deal K-Mart and Philly wants to unload Big Dog and, possibly AI. Miami, I think would still like to get rid of Jones' and Grant's contracts. New Orleans doesn't need to blow up, but after two years in New Orleans, they're having big attendance problems, so you never know. And as I've mentioned, the Lakers situation is one that you have to watch...anything could happen out there. So, that's the list of "suspects, in more or less, descending order.

A couple of interesting situations might facilitate a 3 way trade...and broaden our list of potential trading partners to those teams who might not need a PF like Walker, but who would be interested in a 2...like T-Mac or AI. Since their contracts are similar to Walker's in size, we could get into a 3 way with someone using either one of them. A lot of these teams have no playoff ambitions, but some of them do...and I think that their 'sense of urgency" is going to be determined by how they do in the playoffs. So, for right now, I'm going to reserve judgment on what trades might be likely.

It's fairly apparent that if we want a young big man (Curry, Kwame, Haywood or someone along those lines) that we'll have to take an ugly contract of their hands in order to get a deal done. KG has made a very good case to me in some PM's for signing TAG to the MLE...and then getting K-Mart from NJ. And that's one that I like a lot. In fact, after resigning Nash, I think that trying to get Tag is pretty important. Then if you want to add K-Mart or a young, big man, you have some flexibility.

Deals for Antonio Davis and Curry could be done. Same applies to Stackhouse and Haywood or Kwame. I like the first a lot better than the second. But I like the K-Mart deal the best, though we might have to swallow Mourning's contract. Isee those 3 trades as the most likely targets.

I'm definitely not for trading Nash, so I won't even go into that...and, honestly, Phoenix is not going to give up Amere and Chicago is not going to give up Hinrich (though they might part with Crawford..A Walker for JYD< Curry, and Crawford also works under the CBA)....I wouldn't mind dampier, but I see a sign and trade as being pretty difficult. So, I'm going to retreat back into what I've said before...

I enjoy throwing trade ideas around...but I think that some very unexpected, crazy things could come up this year. Let's see how the playoffs go...and see who wants to blow themselves up for cap space...then we'll all havea little more basis behind our speculation...

After all, we are going to be in the playoffs...and a lot may come from how we do....if we were swept by the Lakers, we're going to see a far different situation on our hands than if we go deep or all the way.

I doon't mean to rain on the parade, but I think that all we can really do far now is to look at potential trading partners and players that we think might solve some of our holes.