View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #483
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

Here is an interview with Rivera.

Rivera: I'm '100 percent' ready

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

IRVING – Cowboys right guard Marco Rivera saw his nine-year NFL career flash before his eyes in March when he injured his back during a workout.

Rivera, 33, said he sat in a hotel room in Baltimore, where he was accepting an Ed Block Courage Award for his 2004 season with the Packers, with his face in his hands.

“In a couple of days, I went from thinking I would never play again to hearing I’d be back on my feet in six to eight weeks,” Rivera said Wednesday during an interview with DallasNews.com.

Rivera, who received a $9 million signing bonus when he signed a five-year, $20 million contract with the Cowboys in March, underwent surgery to repair a herniated disk March 10 and is declaring himself “100 percent” ready for training camp. The Cowboys’ first practice is July 30.

Rivera touched on a number of topics during the interview. The highlights:

Q&A WITH MARCO RIVERA

Q: Do you feel like you’ve been given a second chance?

Rivera: That’s exactly how I feel. I mean, I feel like one of the young guys all of the sudden. I truly feel like I’m in my fourth or fifth season at this point.

Q: Are there any restrictions on what you can do during training camp?

Rivera: None whatsoever. If camp started tomorrow, I’d be out there. I passed the run test recently, and I’m lifting the same weights that I was lifting before I was injured.

Q: Coach [Bill] Parcells has said that you just need to be ready for the opening game. How many preseason games does it usually take you to feel comfortable?

Rivera: I need two games just to get the feel. All the work is done in practice. When you’re in camp, the first and second teams are still rotating. You’re not in shape to play the entire game. The first game, we’ll probably play a little. The second game a little more, almost all of the third game and the fourth game, we’ll only be in there two or three series.

Q: What do you think about Larry Allen moving to right tackle?

Rivera: He can do it, but I don’t know how realistic it is. We have too many young guys who are quality players. It’s difficult to switch positions and play at a high level.

Q: Some of the coaches have talked about how good Allen looks this offseason. What have you noticed about him?

Rivera: I can only compare it to a guy like Brett Favre, who is older than me. I think, like Brett, Larry is having fun again. His body is feeling good. He’s in good shape. You know, in two or three years, our bodies are going to start falling apart. It’s the nature of the beast. He knows that and wants to take advantage of this time when he’s feeling good.

Q: How does this line compare to some of those you played with in Green Bay?

Rivera: I’m not sure we have better talent, but I think we have the right stuff. The right attitude. Nobody even took a vacation. You see 30 or 40 guys in there working out every day. And that’s why I think we’re going to turn 6-10 into 10-6.

Q: So no vacation at all?

Rivera: Bill [Parcells] said he needed me here in June and July because I started from behind. But I was going to do it anyway. I’ll probably take a weekend vacation with the family at some point.

Q: Where do you usually vacation?

Rivera: I built a house in Puerto Rico two years ago. It’s a house built on family land. I’ll probably end up there someday. But after I’m through playing, I’ll be playing Mr. Mom for quite a while.

Q: What do you think of some of the young guys on the line?

Rivera: [Guard] Stephen Peterman is a guy who works hard and never complains. I think he’s going to be a good player. And [tackle] Jacob Rogers and Dan Campbell are some other guys who work unbelievably hard. I tease Dan that he’s getting old and will fall apart soon. I’m not sure he likes that too much.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote