View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #58
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I don't think he was saying that Kobe is the best player of all time. He's saying Kobe is the best player to ever die so young. And I think that's absolutely true. And I can't think of any comparison in any other sport. Walter Payton maybe? But as great as Payton was, even he wasn't the global icon that Kobe was.

If I owned the Mavs, I personally wouldn't do this, but I don't see why it should bother anyone. Kobe was NOT just any player- nor did he die under normal circumstances. and this has not and will not happen when just any NBA player or even NBA legend dies. Additionally, Kobe had a long history with Cuban and the Mavs personally. It's obvious Kobe meant something personal to Cuban that other players don't. I don't think Cuban would do the same for any other player, really- even Lebron or Shaq. MAYBE Duncan just because the Mavs and Spurs have so much history.
I think Cuban did it because of the relationship/rivalry they had. Cuban wasn’t around for MJ, so it doesn’t make much sense to retire 23, but since Cuban owned the team all through Kobe’s career I get it.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote