Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 11:41 PM   #596
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I think the Dejounte Murray trade falling through for the Knicks might have given us at little more of a chance, but it does make the Knicks more desperate.

You know, I think I'm changing my mind on the money thing though. For ten years the Mavs were used as leverage to up other teams' offers. I say we stick to a lower number. Prove to us young Jalen that you actually care about winning because it's not like you still won't be making a boat load of money either way. And we don't know for sure that a big offer changes his mind anyway. Let the Knicks overpay. We can still win without you.

My wife helped bring me to this perspective because you'd be nuts to want to go join that loser franchise. (Her words).

We shouldn't have to outbid the lowly Knicks...and likely won't.
I dunno, I mean, I hear you, but at the same time I think it's naive to ever expect these young men to care more about winning than making money. If you want to keep your guys, you have to pay them more than the competition is offering, it's as simple as that.
The Mavs could have had him for the next several years at a fraction of the price, and they passed. It's easy to understand why he would have a chip on his shoulder about that. So he bets on himself, performs incredibly during the playoffs, elevates his game to a new level, and doubles his value. He earned his money.

Even if it's an outrageous overpay- and frankly even if he's making 27 million a year, there are far more overpaid players scattered throughout the league- I also worry about how letting him walk might hurt the perception of the Mavs franchise among players. We know that its a pretty tight knit community the players have. We know they all talk, and they have certain ideas about how franchises treat their players. For example, the Cetlics really paid a price with players for years of Danny Ainge's cutthroat and callous tactics. AD outright said he refused to go to Boston because of the way they treated Isaiah Thomas. He definitely wasn't the only player who felt that way. I think it could be a bad look for the Mavs if someone like Brunson plays his ass off, really overperforms, helps them get to the conference finals, and only to then turn around and not pony up as much money as the competition to keep him. Players might get the idea that the Mavs just don't care about their guys outside of Luka. I know Nico supposedly has really good relationships with players around the league, but actions speak louder than words.

Again though, I'm really fine letting him walk IF the Mavs can replace his production. But I feel like that's a tall order given the cap situation and lack of trade pieces.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote