View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 07:23 PM   #44
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Vladimir Stepania

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I'd rather have Raef. He's much more athletic. Much more skilled. His upside is much higher.

Miller is a utility man - a lumbering bruising thug. Is he any better than Stepania? Probably not. The numbers say Step is a better rebounder. He's definitely got more range on his shot. Step is taller. He's more skilled. I'm not saying that Step is anything more than a backup center in the West, but that's about all I can say for Miller, too. Raef? I think he has the potential to be a very nice player in this league. We can likely get Step for around $8 mil for two years. Much closer to what he's worth than the ridiculous contract given to Miller.
Seriously, you would rather have Raef, who has shown that he has an inability to effectively play post defense against any premier PF or C in the Western conference, than Brad Miller? Brad Miller, whom the Mavs wanted to acquire, provides the intangibles the Mavs are looking for in a PF or C...he rebounds the ball effectively, he throws his weight around on defense, and he operates effectively out of the high post.

Raef, on the other hand, operates best on offense standing out at the three point line, picks up many silly fouls, and doesn't really rebound to save his own life, forcing Dirk to often collect 20 rebounds in games.

Granted, Miller did a great job in getting $68 million for himself...he's probably being overpaid to play C in the Western conference. But Raef isn't a C in the Western conference. His best years in Denver were playing PF and not guarding the other team's best post player, which is really what the Mavs need. The Mavs need "a lumbering bruising thug".

Also, to say Stepania has an offensive game comparable to Miller's is ridiculous. The guy hasn't shown that he has any offensive capabilities, and that was in the weak Eastern conference. In the West Stepania will be merely a defender and a rebounder...a perfect fit for the Mavs, but Miller would have also added a little offense. The offense Raef adds is the same type of offense Dirk adds, but not half as effectively since Raef doesn't move very well with the ball in his hands.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote