View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
i think the mavs are in an obvious go for it now mode. i almost wonder what kind of deal the mavs are looking for marion to sign. i'm guessing its somewhere in the 3 yr range with the 3rd yr partially guaranteed. with these moves, i believe the mavs are going to go for it over the next 2 years while dirk remains in his prime.

after some further consideration, i think im ok with these moves assuming marion doesn't decline too much over what he currently is. my only fear is that most people remember him for what he was a few years ago and not for what he is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
While he was on the outs in Miami and in Toronto, he wasn't exactly working with the same pieces he had in Phoenix.
I think both of you have valid points. I don't think there's any question that Marion is a product of what he has around him, to some extent. He doesn't create his own offense so he's more dependent on his offensive system than most.

HOWEVER, Marion is the type of player who is going to decline very, very quickly. I mean I expect his productivity to just drop off a cliff at some point. This is because is game is SO based on speed and athleticism. So you just better hope (or know) that he's not going to lose those abilities early in his new contract.

And, please remember that he's a bit of a knucklehead that was more interested in a larger role on a bad team that continuing to contribute on a good team in Phoenix. This must be remembered and taken into account.

But the bottom line is you'd be adding a valuable, fringe-all star level player for nothing. I mean people were talking themselves into trading Josh for this guy last year. So it would be a large upgrade, and honestly, a bigger one than I have been expecting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-06-2009 at 09:51 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote