View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:38 AM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitome22
Bill Simmons is of course a very entertaining & talented writer (though his schtick gets old afterawhile) but (and this is ironic, him being perhaps the most famous sportswriter today) he isn't actually very insightful or perceptive, or many times even thoughtful when it comes to evaluating sports, teams & athletes. He's clearly fanatical about sports, and if you are too, you can't help but get caught up in how he writes about it with his distinctive humor & his talented prose, but the "sportsguy" really doesen't know that much about sports. It's more like a jovial guy with a steep knowledge of 80's pop culture references writing about sports than a sportswriter with a distinctive gimmick: More family guy than John Hollinger.

Whenever I check out the baseball stadhead website baseballprimer.com, the baseball heads always refer to Bill Simmons derisively as "Basketball writer Bill Simmons", the prefix being an indicator that he doesen't know what he's talking about when writing about Baseball & anything said in the following article should be taken with a lump of salt. I think we hoops fans should come up with our own moniker for the man.
I think Simmons is pretty darn insiteful when talking about football or basketball.

He goes overboard, and he knee jerks, but I think a lot of that is by design, to relate to the common fan.

I don't think Mavs fan were arguing quite so much when he wrote the article after the Suns series declaring that Dirk belonged in the Pantheon.

You just have to try to dig past the shock value parts of his articles. He REALLY can dissect a basketball game when he wants to, in my opinion.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-02-2007 at 01:38 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote