View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #1352
JamesVE

JamesVE has a spectacular aura aboutJamesVE has a spectacular aura aboutJamesVE has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
You can't look at raw rebound numbers you mental midget! Yes, Dirk's rebounds are down because of age/injuries/minutes. But he is still a good defensive rebounder. He has never, and will never be a big offensive rebounder because that's not what we need him to do. Defensive rebounding is what Dirk does, and he still does it pretty well. Higher DRR% than Amare, Pau, Aldridge, etc.
Well, I'm no rocket scientist but the master's degree hanging on my wall surely makes me more than a mental midget. At least on paper

Nonetheless, I only went on numbers in my retort because one of the original guys to inexplicably criticize me for my opinion threw out the fact that Dirk was the top rebounder in the Denver game to somehow "get" me.

Actually, originally, I stated my opinion not from a numbers-game but from a simple eye-o-meter. I didn't even know that Dirk averaged UNDER 7 rebounds a game until I looked it up today.

Back to the eye-o-meter: the basis of my statements about Dirk's rebounding came from me WATCHING the games and SEEING how he doesn't TRY to go for rebounds. That's just my plain flat out observation. Dirk RARELY even remotely battles/goes for/tries to get rebounds. He does once in a blue moon, yes, hence the occasional 9-10 rebound game. But I'm talking about night-in night-out. If the rebounding effort you see from Dirk this year differs from my description here, then I guess one of us lives in opposite-world.

Also, you say that's not what we "need" Dirk to do. So we've never needed better rebounding in the past twelve years? I'd contend that Dirk has never been a good offensive rebounder simply because he's never been made to do it and likely largely gotten a pass on it - especially in his formative years under Nellie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I'm pretty sure you'll see Dirk's rebounding numbers increase once the playoffs start. Sometimes people forget that this is a long season. Dirk and the Mavs have been there and done that. Frankly, they need Dirk a little fresher come playoff time. If that means that he allows Chandler or another Mav to grab a rebound that he would have gotten in the past, so be it. If that means that he loses a rebound to an opponent early in the game, so be it.
Good, solid, point without attacking me for an opinion. And very true. IIRC Dirk's career rebounding average is 11-12 or somewhere around there.

Last edited by JamesVE; 02-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.
JamesVE is offline   Reply With Quote