View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #35
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Carlisle should get consideration for doing what he's done with the mediocre talent he has. While Luka is playing like an all-time great, KP is probably the only other player we have who could start for a good team like the Lakers or the Bucks. Maybe Hardaway, but at the beginning of the season, folks here would have traded him for a wooden nickle. The Mavs always wanted him, and once Rick got him in the right situation, he has been solid. Our only all-star is KP, who's been MIA for a while. The Lakers have 2 all-stars on their bench. We hardly have any high lottery picks.

Rick is winning with un-drafted players he has rounded in to equally solid players. Nobody else wanted DFS or Maxi. The same is true for 2nd rounders like Powell and Brunson. In their first year, it was hard to understand why Rick was investing time with any of them. Now they are the kind of total buy-in, low price pieces that make the foundation of a strong future. Its the same thing he did with JJB. I thought he was a total loser, right up until the moment he shredded the dreaded Lakers and Heat and got us that banner hanging in the AAC.

Speaking of JJB, Rick gets props from me for not playing him. In several of those close games we lost, Barea's experience and leadership could have managed the Mavs into a win. Rick decided its more important for our young guys to get the experience of playing under pressure. Few things focus the mind like having your mistakes result in a loss. They must learn how to stop blowing leads, and they recently showed that maybe they are. Against Portland, they held on, even against seasoned super talents like Liliard and Carmelo, who've been leading comebacks for more than a decade.

Rick understands that getting better is more important than getting wins. Its the kind of vision that is rarely rewarded, so I don't expect him to be COY. But in the discussion? Absolutely.
I agree 100% with your point about Barea. I take slight issue with the statement about the quality of the rest of the players. I actually think DFS, Hardaway, Kleber and Powell have all been pretty great this season, but I give Carlisle a lot of credit for that, too.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote