View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Do you mostly read or watch Bill Simmons? Because I tend to disagree with a lot of what he says, but I almost always agree with what he writes.
Ain't that the truth. The substance (and form, IMO) of his writing is in a completely different stratosphere than what he says live. I think he's pretty awful on TV, and I don't think his podcast is much better.

As for the more general thread topic, I'll note that freedom of speech and freedom of press have no application to a private employer like ESPN (or any other company or individual). A private company or person can censor your speech or press all they want. Your right to free speech and free press only prohibits censorship by the federal or state government. That's it.

That being said, I always think it's funny when a company like ESPN pays someone like Bill Simmons tons of money to speak his mind, and then censors or punishes him when he does. It's not a violation of his rights, but it's sure hypocritical coming from a company that's made millions of dollars off Bill Simmons and his various creations (Grantland, 30 for 30, etc.).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote