View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #45
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
To me, the USA folks - in any sport - represent us. Our system, education, history, belief structure and society produced these athletes. Even if they aren't everything you personally stand for, in the athletic realm, they represent what we do and stand for as Americans as a society/country.
Speak for yourself when it comes to the players on Team USA representing American society. Most of the people in my life share an identity more akin to Dirk's than any of those ego-driven douchebags that are currently (mis)representing the United States. Maybe people like me aren't in the majority, but I'm still a product of this system, education, history, belief structure and society, and I see very little in common between me and those guys.

Plus, we're a country full of immigrants - that's what makes America so different from the rest of the world... Freely rooting for an adopted hometown hero is a uniquely American thing to do, and I choose to exercise that uniqueness.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote