Thread: 2016 NBA Finals
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #79
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
My opinion is that Lebron should not be considered as THE greatest of all time. I think it should only be MJ (my #2) and Wilt (my #1).

I truly believe that Wilt would still dominate in today's game even if not by quite as much, which if you go back and look at his numbers, they were just insane. His career numbers were 30.1 ppg and 22.9 rpg. How many players are able to get 20 rebounds for a single game? Where he averaged that over his entire career. Not to mention his 100 point game. Too much scoring? He led the league in assists one year ... while averaging a paltry 24.3 ppg and still 23.8 rebounds.

I have no problem with people saying MJ was the greatest, but I really only put those two in the discussion. Anyone else is in tier 2 ... which don't get me wrong, is still absolutely amazing.

Watch this video and then tell me Lebron is better than this guy:
Wilt Chamberlain - A Real Superman
Stats back in the 60's and 70's (hell, even in the 80's to a lesser extent) were ridiculously inflated due to how much faster the pace was, how much more minutes guys played, and the fact that sophisticated defenses hadn't developed yet. This guy gives a really good mathematical breakdown of how much the game has changed and why players' stats back then aren't *quite* as impressive as they look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOS7lNTABzc If you put someone like Dwight Howard back in the 60's, I think he would put up truly insane numbers too.

That being said, Wilt was a truly phenomenal athlete, and I think he would absolutely be a superstar in today's NBA. He makes my top 5 pretty easily.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote