View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Chat with Bill Walton

Welcome to The Show! On Friday, NBA Hall of Famer Bill Walton, will drop by to take your questions.

Walton, the number one overall pick in the 1974 draft by the Portland Trail Blazers, played with the Blazers until 1979, then headed to the Clippers for six years. Walton eventually wrapped up his NBA career in Boston where he earned his second championship ring. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1993.

Send your questions now and join Bill in The Show on Friday at 11 a.m. ET!

SportsNation Bill Walton: Here we go, in Indianapolis for the Final Four. So many things going on, a thunderous downpour, washed out John Mellencamp's stage. It was in 1880 on this date when Wabash became he first city in the world totally illuminated by electric lights and I'm ready to be the light bulb around here. The NBA is heating up, who else wants to play? I've barely blinked since UCLA send Memphis home. Let's rock!

Michael (Ohio): Bill, Can my Cav's make the eastern finals, with a healthy Larry Hughes and LeBron still elevating as we speak? -Michael

SportsNation Bill Walton: The problem is the guys around LeBron. Congrats to Cleveland but the teams ahead of them are clearly better. The Cavs could be the teams below them. But winning two games in any series is like being ahead at the half. You have to win four quarters to win the series. But the other guys around LeBron are much more important to their success than LeBron. Detroit, San Antonio, Dallas, Miami, Phoenix are the best teams because the talent is more balanced. Good Luck, LeBron!

Collin (Windsor, VT): Big Baby just might have UCLA's number. Do you have any worries about your schools final four opponet?

SportsNation Bill Walton: My biggest concerns are containing Pettit, Maravich and O'Neal, but I think we can find a way to win. LSU is a fine program, my son went there and me and my wife used to go down there. I was blown away when Dale Brown brought me down there to talk to Shaq. The level of committment to sports was impressive. Read the book "Huey Long" by P Harry Williams, it will tell you a lot about Louisiana. We played the Jazz a lot and I was a victim in their first win in franchise history, I had a great time with Bob Pettit and we need to rebuild after what has happened down there.

SportsNation Bill Walton: And let me tell you that Thursday of Final Four week is incredible with all the special events. And despite all the love and respect I have for LSU I'm going to to with LSU. Refer to my comments on Mike and Mike this morning. You can e-mail them and get a clip.

SportsNation Bill Walton: This Monday the announcements for the Hall of Fame -- where I was lucky enough to be inducted with Dr. J. Calvin murphy and others -- and this year's class is incredible. I don't know how they will narrow it down. Barkley is a lock. Chet Walker is deserving, and it was unbelievable they shut out Dominique last year. The coaches, the women's division, international players, it's tough. But I am excited for all the events here and the 12th banner for Pauley Pavilion. And when it's all done we're down to San Antonio for a game with the Kings, with the Spurs having seven of their final 10 games at home. They are in position to win the West but it will be tough for the Spurs to catch the Pistons for the overall lead.

Fox Mulder (Washington DC): How do you feel about the ban on leg tights?

SportsNation Bill Walton: This is something the league is always on top of. There's a reason they call it a uniform. This is a business and you adhere to the rules. It's the same as any other job. Either convince the boss you rpoint of view is better or quit. I've always felt it was better to be a part of the team but at the end of the day if you feel this strongly about wearing the tights then quit the NBA. I had dress-code issues in my day with the hair and beard, but I never let that keep me from being a part of the team. The NBA will do what's necessary to see the players are presenting themselves in the most positive light. But I admit right now I'm wearing a tie-dyed shirt and support stockings from the congenital defects that caused me so many stress fractures. The Jobst stockings are literally saving my life. Hakeem wore them on his entire leg. The NBA will never limit players enhancing health but will limit fashion statements.

Jeff Hood (St. Louis): Bill, we will never forget your Final 4 performance here in St. Louis at the Arena, one of the greatest performances in sports history. My question is....Even with Shaq healthy is there any way that Miami can beat Detroit in the playoffs?

SportsNation Bill Walton: Detroit has been the best team when it's mattered all season but the playoffs are a new season. Miami with Shaq and Riley can win any game, any time. The team that can crack the mix right now is New Jersey. The Nets are playing. While we rave about the stars don't forget to throw Kristic in the mix. And congrats to Bill Cartwright, who's worked with him. Bill was a World Champion and elite collegiate player and his behind-the-scenes way had helped Kristic lead them to a 10-game winning streak. Don't discount them. But the biggest problem for Miami is Alonzo Mourning's injury. The Heat were controlling that game in Detroit when he got hurt, and if he can get back to being the fourth-leading shot-blocker in the league they have a chance. And while Shaq plays great you need guys with a game based around his. When he was at his best he had Horry, Fox and Fisher to help him out while Kobe was in his own world. They had a chemistry that enabled the Lakers to dominate. Miami has nice players. Wade is incredible and has no worries, but Williams is inconsistent, Posey and Haslem are nice players but are not Fix and Horry. Walker is off the bench and there's a question about Mourning, whether his kidney ailment is affecting the healing. Not pretending to be doctor, just wondering out loud. But if those guys step up Riley gives them a chance. Still, Detroit has been the best team when it has mattered.

josh (dallas): is dirk nowitzki your frontrunner for mvp? if the mavs can somehow get healthy for the playoffs can they beat the Spurs?

SportsNation Bill Walton: He's right up there at the top. This is one of the toughest MVP races in memory for me. He's up there with Billups and Nash. If Dallas were leading the West - and I don't think they'll win the conference - I think he would be the leader. Kobe has not been playing as well nor has LeBron, so Dirk is up there with Chauncey and Nash. I'll make that decision and make my vote public. But I will say that what Dirk has done has been incredible, going from being traded for Tractor Traylor. He plays like an MVP whether or not he wins it. though.

SportsNation Bill Walton: And there's a story out in Dallas that Don Nelson will not make the Hall of Fame, and that is wrong. It makes me sad. I used to be one of the 24 selectors, and if I still had my vote he would be in on the first ballot. He is one of the people who helped change the history of the game. I'm embarassed, disappointed and ashamed if this is true, just as I was with Dominique. My most emphatic condolences if this is true.

Preston (Shreveport): Yao Ming is really playing well despite the lack wins. How good is he right now, and how good can he be down the road?

SportsNation Bill Walton: Yao is finally showing the production and efficiency a lot of us thought he would show after his 2000 breakout. He's overcome everything, lack of coaching and culture shock and lack of teammates, and I'm looking forward to seeing him this weekend as he works toward the next level. The third year is the key - with a few exceptions - and Yao is learning what it's really all about. You get past the incredible skill level every night, you learn to adjust and adapt to the rigors of the game. You have no idea how hard that is during such a long season. He's in his fourth year now and needs the mentality where the execution and efficiency becomes impact. A lot of guys put up stats, win a possession or a half, but he had the tools and smarts to win every game. A lot will have to do with who he plays with, though, and with the new leadership coming in it will be interesting to see what happens with T-Mac's back and everything else. This should be a spectacular franchise with that magnificent arena and Yao and T-Mac. I'm a huge fan of both but they need upgrades and we wish them well and look forward to seeing them this weekend in the flesh.

SportsNation Bill Walton: You have to to after it every day and not waste any moment, and the young guys have to remember that.

Joe Fort Worth Texas: Bill how to you feel about the way the NBA does its playoff seeding. I just don't think its right for Dallas to be the four seed when they will finish with what looks like will be the third best in the NBA.

SportsNation Bill Walton: This is a tough one for me because while it seems unfair I respect that so much of the structure of the league is about the need for marketing and revenue. Having no divisions takes away from rivalries and revenue. The decision to have quarters instead of halves, to break into three divisions, it is all designed to promote revenue. When I was in the league, though, you played every team the same number of times and you had a good sense of who the best teams were. Now, you see teams beating up on lesser opponents. As for Dallas, they whine and I accept the complaints, but if you're going to be the champ you have to beat everyone else anyway. They often suggest re-seeding in the second round and I don't know anything about that, so it'a hard for me to speak to the alternatives, other than reverting to the old system that requiried more travel and stress. The divisions are deemed to be better than overall rankings, but that's for the people in NYC to worry about. I'm more concerned with broadcasting and the rest. No matter what, Dallas will have to go to San Antonio and take it.

SportsNation Bill Walton: Coach Wooden used to say don't whinine, don't complain, don't make excuses, and never lie, never cheat, and never steal. I try to live by that and not worry about much else.

larksville: do you think the 76ers can get the number 8 seed

SportsNation Bill Walton: Sixers are in a difficult position, not playing good ball and banged up, 2-8 in the last 10 games. Chicago is the team behind them you think would come together but hasn't and Boston is four games out, so they can hang on. The Sixers probably will make it even though they seem to want out, but as we saw last year in the 1-8 matchup Detroit is the worst team in the league for Philadelphia to play. They should be better with Webber, Iverson, Korver, Dalembert, Iguodala, but there is just no spark there right now.

Chris (Indiana): Bill, you get to be GM of the Bulls for the offseason. Whom do you take with their two picks (if you keep them), and who do you look to add to the team?

SportsNation Bill Walton: I have two Bulls games coming after the Final Four, so be patient and check back after I do those games. I'll have a much better sense at that point. They have Washingtona at home April 14 and at Miami the 16th. I'll have a lot more to say at that point that will make sense!

SportsNation Bill Walton: Just want to thank everyone! To have all the opportunities I have had this week make me the luckiest guy ever and ESPN has been the greatest thing that has ever happened to me! So rock on and print the banner for title No. 12! We'll be back next week!