View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #68
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Mary,
I am NOT an expert as well, but from what I understand the Bird Exception rule has some clauses/loopholes for players like Billups in free agency.

Larry exception
Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

The part I highlighted is where I am thinking where the Mavs could get Billups. I am not for sure, but since all the rumors are going around here, I was just trying to figure out if that is rule above is something that could happen. For the record, I am NOT creditxpert. I am just asking questions, and trying to figure out how Billups can come here.
Yes, the Bird exception is transfered when the player is traded. But in that case we would have to send equal salary back, hence the word TRADE.

There is no way, at all, that the Mavs can sign Billups for anything other than the MLE, the LLE, or the veteran's minimum. There are possible trade avenues, perhaps, but those are just that, trades.

Now, you need to apologize to Mary, because she, and all of us, are right, and you are wrong. You don't/didn't know the rules, and you just need to admit it.

It is truly confounding that someone could be so into basketball that he posts frequently on a board like this, and yet has never read a single article related to free agency, and is so out of touch with the NBA as a whole that he thinks Cuban hasn't been signing free agents simply because he hasn't yet wanted to "break the bank". It's just astounding.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-16-2007 at 01:28 PM.