View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Johnson says Mavs are 'tired of resting'

By MERCEDES MAYER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - He didn't even realize the play on words, but Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said that he can tell his team is ready to play.

"At some point, you just get tired of resting," Johnson said.

In an effort to stay fresh but sharp, the Mavs had a hard practice Thursday at American Airlines Center, followed by a 12-minute scrimmage.

"We haven't played in a game since Monday, so we needed to get some of our lungs blown out," Johnson said. "Today was a game day."

Jerry Stackhouse said the scrimmaging was as mental as it was physical, and the Mavs were working on schemes they want to use in the next series against either Sacramento or San Antonio.

"We got up and down," Stackhouse said. "It was a little raggedy after not playing since Monday. It wasn't as sharp as we'd like to be, but hopefully when the series begins we'll be sharper."

Marquis Daniels (right hamstring) participated in all drills and the scrimmage, and he said he felt good afterward.

"I'm ready to get back at it, but the rest is also good for my hamstring," Daniels said. "Either way it goes, I'll be ready."

The Mavs will watch film today, and the weekend schedule will depend on when the Spurs-Kings series ends, which could be as early as tonight. San Antonio takes a 3-2 series lead into Sacramento at 9:30 p.m.

Van Horn progressing

Keith Van Horn's presence in Thursday's practice might have been limited, but it was welcome.

Van Horn (right hand) was cleared for shooting and noncontact activities Wednesday, and "he was at least able to grab a basketball [Thursday], which was a good sign," Avery Johnson said.

The Mavs hope Van Horn will be able to fully practice sometime next week.

"It's coming along and, boy, it's coming at the right time," Johnson said.

Game watching

The Mavs aren't getting together to watch tonight's San Antonio-Sacramento game, but they will definitely be tuning in.

Jason Terry said he thinks it's an advantage for the Mavs since they have more opportunities to analyze both teams. Terry is specifically watching both point guards, Sacramento's Mike Bibby and San Antonio's Tony Parker.

"I try to look at their weaknesses and their strengths," Terry said. "Then I watch how their defenses adjust to certain situations, like pick and roll."

Differences

The Mavs have focused on being a different, more defensive-oriented team this season, and Avery Johnson said he expects the same from the Sacramento Kings if the Mavs are to play them in the Western Conference semifinals.

Gone are the run-and-gun offensive teams. With Ron Artest leading the way, the Kings play at a slower pace and more in the half court than in the past.

"It is different because the old Sacramento would be trying to rip and run, but they don't run as much as they used to," Johnson said. "They're a different team now."

ABC schedule options

There are four scenarios for Sunday's NBA playoff schedule on ABC:

Sacramento at San Antonio at noon and Washington at Cleveland at 3:30; if both series go to Game 7.

Dallas at San Antonio at noon and Washington at Cleveland at 3:30; if Cleveland series goes seven but San Antonio's series doesn't.

Cleveland at Detroit at noon and Sacramento at San Antonio at 3:30; if San Antonio series goes seven but Cleveland series doesn't.

Dallas at San Antonio at noon and Cleveland at Detroit at 3:30; if no Game 7 needed in Cleveland or San Antonio series.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote