View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 07:02 PM   #36
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

At what point in Nelson's career has Nelson had the team to beat in the NBA?

At what point in Nelson's career did Nelson have one of the top 5 teams in the NBA, until now?

If Nelson had the best team, and was blowing it in the playoffs, I could understand the sentiment that he can't coach a team to the championship. So far, Nelson has only had teams that overachieved. Nelson gets a lot out of the talent on hand.

This year, are the Mavs the best team in the NBA? Personally, I don't think so. I think the Kings are deeper and farther along. Does that mean that if the Mavs don't beat the Kings in the playoffs, that Nelson has blown it? Again, I don't think so. I think it means the Mavs got beat by the better team.

This BS about the regular season not meaning anything. Doesn't a team have to win enough regular season games to get INTO the playoffs? Isn't that job one? Hasn't NBA history shown that it is rare for a team to just show up in the playoffs and win it all the first year? Didn't all the teams that won several times, have teams that they had to hurdle first? Detroit and the Lakers as an example and the Bulls overcoming the Pistons, after a couple of playoff series losses, as another example. There are others.

It looks like the Kings are in the midst of getting over their Laker hurdle. Last year, I thought the Kings were the best team in the NBA. I thought the Mavs were better, before the Kings series, but the Kings made a believer out of me.

I see the Mavs with a Spur, King AND Lakers hurdle to get over before they win the championship. If the Mavs lose to superior teams, does that mean Nelson can't coach in the playoffs?
David is offline   Reply With Quote