View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #709
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I wasn't saying he wasn't the backup catcher. I was saying that as the backup catcher, I'm not sure that he's going to get more at bats than he would have as the third catcher/DH.

As for the Rangers being better off without the Napoli trade, I disagree. I don't see Frankie making the team feel more warm and fuzzy about the bullpen, given his physical condition. So I don't think he makes a difference in regards to Feliz' position.

I also would prefer Napoli on the roster over Davis, because Davis is a lefty and isn't a natural platoon fit with Moreland.
Yeah, those first two sentences are a bit confusing if taken by themselves, but I understand what you were trying to say now having read back over it all.

And yeah, sure, if Frankie is injured I mentioned how I don't have much to stand on with that opinion but it certainly wasn't known when he was traded that he was going to be injured at this point in the year and there is a good chance he comes back soon to be rather productive for Toronto.

Bottom line, the trade prevented us from putting Feliz in the rotation. Not making the trade (with the knowledge that Frankie would soon be coming back from injury) would likely have had him starting with Ogando filling in the gap as closer until Frankie could return. Just my opinion - impossible to know for sure - but it is how I honestly feel given what Nolan said the reason for him going to the bullpen was.

Regarding Napoli being a better fit over Davis due to how he could platoon with Moreland - well, I think Davis should be the starting 1st baseman right now given his spring and how much better he is defensively over Moreland even with the trade (with Moreland still playing an important role on our MLB club). Napoli platooning with Davis instead of with Moreland is better to me. Without the trade I would still have Davis at 1B platooning with Young.

Moreland could then become that swing OF that Murphy is now in this scenario with Hamilton playing CF and Murphy playing LF (with Borbon in AAA). Not going to happen, I know, but that is what I would do. Just as Murphy was going to get a solid 350-400 at bats, you could likewise get Moreland a great deal of them with him providing rest to all OFs. Murphy could get by in CF on days you needed to rest Josh or play him at DH, despite his average to below average defense there (if Vlad could play several games in LF/RF Murphy can play several in CF).

I know the limitations that Murphy has in CF would likely hurt you a bit more than the positives that Davis would give you defensively at 1B, but the truth of the matter is that I can at some point envision Davis being a .280/35/100 guy with an upside to be even better. He can crush AAA pitching and is learning MLB pitching and I see him being much like Cruz - another solid opportunity away from breaking out.

Again, nothing I am suggesting is going to happen because the team is going to play Borbon, Feliz is going to close, Hamilton isn't going to be trusted in CF, Moreland is going to play 1st and Davis is going to AAA - but still. It is what I would do with this roster.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 03-29-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote