View Single Post
Old 03-16-2001, 05:09 PM   #11
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't consider myself to be an oversensitive type, but I do think that the use of violence tinged racial slurs really steps over the line...I thought that the Rocker comments in Sports Illustrated were a little overblown, and I don't think that Rocker really meant to do anything but poke fun at NY. He may have some unpolitically correct views about various things, but I don't think that he was the hatred spewing monster that the media tried to portray him as. The comments of Williams are completely different in my opinion. He might as well have called a black fan heckling him that he was a dirty "nigger" and that we should ship him back of Africa (I am not saying this- just making a comparison). He could just as easily have called a Jewish fan a "Kike" and say that Hitler should have finished the job. Comments like these far surpass uncomfortable racial references like Rockers, and really step into the repugnant realm of racial hatred... That Williams feels he can get away with saying something like he did speaks volumes about his lack of maturity, and his apparent moral bankruptcy... Again, I do not feel that I am being oversensive about this- his comments are completely out of line and indefensible... Also, Iverson was replying to fans who were calling him a "nigger" and were saying things about his mom. In my opinion his "faggots" comment was precipitated by an angry situation, and by out of control fans. I saw a lot of Indianapolis coverage of this incident because I live in Bloomington...