View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #83
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Actually, Karl Malone had exactly 2 playoff runs where his PER was higher than Dirk's career playoff average.

Dirk's career playoff PER: 24.7
Malone's high: 25.8 and then 25.0

Dirk has had 5 seasons in which his playoff PER was higher than Malone's highest.

Malone had 9 seasons in which his per was below 20.
Dirk has never had a season in which his playoff per was below 20.9.
PER downplays defense, where Malone was clearly better at than Dirk. He wasn't a great defender, but he did make 4 All-D teams and was a good defender. Even in this past Finals, JVG was calling out how the Heat had success when they got to attack Dirk and make him defend, although the zone makes it easier to hide him on that side of the court.

Considering that the creator freely admits the stat discounts defense, do you still not think it isn't that great of a measure to use to compare players? I don't have much reliance in it, as far as taking it over raw numbers. Not as far as using it to say one player is better than another. Especially not when I look at the career list and see that LeBron is #2, Robinson is #4, Wade is #6 and CP3 is #8. Wilt and Oscar are probably the greatest all-around stat players and they are #5 and #20. Magic and Bird both aren't even in the top 10.

I don't have much reliance in PER.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote