View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #101
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Just out of curiosity...what is an Igoudala drive? Is that not creating his own offense? Sometimes the lane will open up because of a drive and kick, or passing around the horn, but most of the time a drive would be considered creating his own offense.

I mean, Butler could create his own offense. Butler in isolation was a solid offensive option for us on some nights. But he's under the bus now. So is someone who can create his own offense what we really need? Or do we need someone who adds the most to our team by giving us strengths in the team's areas of weakness?
But Johnson's offense is not just for himself. To be fair, neither is Iguodala's, he's a pretty darn good passer. But so is Johnson, and he creates MORE offense because he's a much better offensive player. Andre Iguodala is barely an offensive upgrade over Butler, if one at all. And he's an especially terrible fit to play alongside Marion. Why would you make it a priority to acquire a player that would fit terribly with one of your primary rotation members?

I have to say, I'm pretty confounded by the continued notion that Johnson adds to this team's reliance on jump shooting and Iggy doesn't. I've just shown the stats, they're both equally reliant on long jump shots. So when they are throwing up the long jump shots that they take in relatively equal numbers (percentage wise), Johnson shoots a higher percentage. And when they're not shooting long jumpers, Johnson is posting up and Iggy is driving to the rim. And on the whole Johnson is a more prolific and more well rounded scorer.

I'll say this again...if they're equal overall players then I'm willing to discuss how they fit. But when one is a significantly better player than the other, which is the case here, I'm not really considering fit unless the much better one is a terrible fit (see Bosh vs Johnson).

It would be somewhat like saying you want Wade over Lebron because Wade's a much better fit. Not to quite that magnitude, but I think it's a decent example.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-09-2010 at 08:26 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote