View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #62
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibivibiv View Post
Fair enough, but it's related in my view. All we have seen is hyper conservative 1 year deals and some clever bargain shopping. I think it is fair to say that Cuban/Nellie et al may have jumped the gun in their fear of this new CBA. I mean unless they are the lone geniuses in the league and these other teams are all just being stupid crazy. I am a big fan of looking at a large sample set and so far, it looks like we are a bit of an outlier in this "fear the new CBA" strategy. I think what Cuban has done for the team overall throughout the years has been awesome and wouldn't trade him for any other owner, but honestly don't you think he might have overestimated the league's owners initial reaction to this new CBA? I get the impression our FO thought no one would be spending this year. It looks like that is not the case just yet.
Initial reaction? Possibly, but that doesn't change the fact he could be right in the big picture. It's not a situation right now where he has to be right or wrong. The rules are going to see another set of changes next summer. Something along the lines of Nash going to the Lakers won't be able to happen since the Lakers are a specific taxpaying team. Seems like the Lakers are willing to bite the bullet on the tax hit, but they can only really max out on the system, likely due to age, for 1-2 years. They'll have to strike while they can.

If this year's team is successful and shows the makings of a team that can build into something with major substance, Cuban can go back to his ways since they sacrificed to get to now.

While there might not have been teams that scaled back on the signings, there were still teams that threw out dumb money. That's going to come back and bite them eventually. It's just one of those things that take time to develop, which no one wants to hear.