View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #147
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Official: Dallas at New York preseason thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
6) Dirk--tonight was just a workout for him. He was definitely looking to take the ballk to the basket tonight. I hate to say this, because....we've harped so long about having him take it to the basket. And he's definitely making the effort. But I see no finishing touch whatsoever from him. He put the ball on the floor a couple of times, beat KT easily, launched himself toward the rim, and.....thank God he got fouled. He just doesn't seem to have a good sense of how to get a shot off with a soft touch. Is he trying? Definitely. Is he learning? I'm not sure. Can that be learned? I don't know. I guess I'm a little skeptical about ultimate attainment if he's still learning at this point, and showing no more than he did a couple of years ago. He also rolled out that little sweeping hook tonight over TThomas, but it was almost like he was doing it on a dare. (It didn't go.) He has that beautiful outside shot. Is he ever going to be more than that?
?
He has a great mid range shot...he has a solid turn around jumper and is already efficient on the high post. And yes, he has shown the ability to either score or get to the line off the dribble. I'll let you off the hook because it's common for many to overreact after a bad loss. But Lord, how quickly some forget...

No overreaction. I didn't even consider the game a loss. It was more of an extra-mural scrimmage.

Nor is it a harsh criticism of Dirk, nor is it forgetting all the other stuff he brings to the table.

But the question remains: Does he have the ability to adjust his shot on drives to the hoop? For three years I've been watching (and talking about it) for this part of his game to evolve, but from what I saw last night, this part of his game remains the same.

Maybe it would have been like asking Kareem to be a great outside shooter too. And as long as Dirk converts FTs like he did last night, and as long as the fouls get called his way, then it's may be moot--aside from the fact that he will have fewer 3-point play opportunities.

But if the hook you're letting me off is Dirk's, it's probably just as well.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote