View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #48
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What position are we looking for again? I keep reading that we need a "legitimate second scorer" behind Dirk (as if our scoring is a problem), so which position are we trying to fill and who's getting bumped to make room for them?

Dirk, Chandler and Kidd certainly aren't going to be replaced this season (as if they CAN be), so we're obviously looking at the 2 and 3 positions...

Not many 2's out there who are an obvious upgrade over Roddy, especially not when you consider the price... I like Kevin Martin, but I also don't think taking a huge step backwards defensively is going to get us any closer to a ring (nor can I imagine any scenario where Houston would trade him to us...)

Hard to say whether Jax, Crash or Iggy are even on the market right now, but I imagine it'll take more than just Butler's expiring to land any of them (and would any of those guys really put us "over the top" if they're cutting into Marion and Peja's minutes?)

Anyone in a Rip Hamilton mood?

Prince makes sense, but would Butler/picks/cash really be enough to entice Detroit to trade one expiring for another (especially since several other teams in the league can top that)? If so, that's easily the most (read: only) sensible deal we can pursue...

I mean, do you guys really think Butler/Stevenson/DoJo is the best offer Denver is going to get for Melo? (put down your crackpipe before you answer)... And would you really go "all-in" by including Roddy just so we can rent one of the most selfish players in the NBA for half a season?
I agree with most (though not all) of this, but feeling that we need a trade to really compete for a title is not the same as thinking that there is actually some good trade option (or options) out there.

We may well be the victims of circumstance in that there just isn't anything we can do given our assets and the market, for the reasons you've described here. If that's the case, I don't advocate making a trade just for the sake of it. I'd rather roll with what we have, which I think is quite solid. But my personal opinion is that we're a guy short, and as bullish as I am on Roddy's future, I'm not sure this year he's quite ready to be that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
For bonus points: name ONE team in the league that you don't think we can take in a 7-game series as currently constructed...
We have to beat more than any one given team to accomplish what we want to accomplish. As presently constructed, I would put at about 5% our odds of beating in succession <insert mid-range West team here>, the Spurs, the Lakers, and the Heat/Celtics/Magic. Winning a championship is always a crapshoot anyway, but I'd like to see my personal assessment of our odds at closer to 15% to 20%, and I don't see that happening without a trade.

Unless Roddy just completely blows me away.....

Of course, that assumes the toughest playoff path imaginable, which isn't a guaranteed thing, but that's the assumption I'll use for now.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-17-2011 at 07:24 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote