View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #60
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

If we still had Caron as a player instead of a towel waiver, I wouldn't even consider a trade. The team we have right now is pretty damn good, however, there are reasons to believe, as CadBane mentioned, that we're still not good enough to win it all.

When you compare this year's team to last year's team, there aren't that many differences. Tyson undoubtedly represents a major improvement over Damp. Other than that, replacing Butler with Peja is a wash at best. We're basically hoping that Chandler instead of Damp and more minutes for Roddy can turn a team that lost in the 1st round last year into championship material.

If guys like Chandler, Jet, Kidd, Marion and JJB could keep their current level of play and if Roddy and Peja could turn into productive players from this point forward, it might work out. I'm just not sure that that's going to happen in consecutive playoff series against the best teams in the league.

One of Caron's more crucial abilities was to step up on offense. When Dirk hurt his knee earlier this season and we played the Spurs a couple of days later, Butler took the responsibility on offense and scored 30 points. In last year's two elimination games against the Spurs in the playoffs, he scored 35 and 25 respectively.

We just don't seem to have that type of player on our team right now who can take some pressure off of Dirk. Maybe Roddy can be that guy. Maybe the other guys on our team will be more productive this time to make up for the lack of a 2nd option on offense. We'll probably have to hope for both, given that there's apparently no player available who could replace Caron on offense. As much as I'd like to see a guy like Prince in a Mavs uniform, he's no Caron on offense either as far as his ability to create offense is concerned.

If the stars align in our favor, we could be good enough. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't and we were still that one player away, whose name could be Butler. His injury really sucks. Not because he's THAT great, don't get me wrong. But with the team we have, we don't need another great player to compete. We may just need one more decent two-way player with the ability to create offense. Like Caron.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote