View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #77
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCharmingFan View Post
There's nothing wrong with Dirk, don't get me wrong. My mistake. That particular free throw was the difference between going into OT and a loss. Sounds like almost the epitome of clutch. On the other hand, Melo hit everything he threw up (so did Aflalo, but whatever). It was just one game, I know, but Denver seems to have an edge on Dallas for some reason. Which is funny to me because it seems like the top teams are handled pretty well most of the time this season.

That was just the most recent thing I remembered and it shocked me. I haven't seen much clutch play from him in recent games is all. I love him, he holds the team together, he makes everyone around him better, but you guys must know that the Mavs tend to let leads slip away really easily. I think Melo would be a good addition to any team, but losing Roddy B doesn't sounds good to me. Honestly, wouldn't want to lose anyone the way they are playing.

But, yeah, Dirk rarely misses a FT, which is why it stuck with me.
I don't know why Melo's clutchness is even being seen as a big deal. If we acquired him, yes, it'd be nice to have a player down the stretch who can create a shot and hit it down even with the pressure on him. But must we have such a player? Not at all.

Sure, we had that one game where Dirk missed a free throw and it lost us the game (assuming we would have won in OT, which isn't a given). But overall, this team is very, very good at closing out close games. The veterans aren't afraid of the pressure, they know what to do. I don't know our record off hand, but games decided by like 5 points or less we have a very high winning percentage, because this team is typically very clutch and simply finds ways to win late in games.

So Melo's clutchness isn't a bad thing, but its not a necessary thing. If we acquire him with one of the primary reasons being his late game ability, that's stupidity. It shouldn't even be a factor on this team. Obviously, if you want him for his scoring, that's an entirely different issue, but focusing too much on a strength of his that this team is already very strong is pointless.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote