View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The Lions, despite having (imo) the greatest running back of all time, had a below .500 record while Sanders played for them and was such an incompetent organization that Sanders retired rather than staying on to easily lay claim to the rushing title that Emmitt would never have sniffed.

Sanders did turn them into a semi-legitimate team at times on the field. They had several good years after being putrid for three years before he got there, but he couldn't overcome everything himself.

There's no way to settle this argument, but the fact that Sanders is even in the discussion against a back like Emmit, given Emmit's line and really his entire offensive team, is a testament to how amazing Sanders was.

The only concession I am willing to make on Sanders vs Emmitt is that Emmitt was in fact better suited for a team like the Cowboys, that had playmakers elsewhere and did not need the gamebreaker running back. But believe me, if Barry Sanders had ever run for the Cowboys, there would have been a lot less dancing behind the line and a lot more touchdowns.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote